Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I H8 NY

Confession: I live and work in New York.  It's a fantastic city; I love the mix of cultures, unbeatable public transportation, and the shear number of things to do.  It's great.

So -- because of my current residence in NYC -- I've been even moreso anticipating the Phillies/Yankees World Series.  I work with a lot of Yankee fans, and for the most part they've been good sports and we've gone back and fourth jokingly about the upcoming Fall Classic.

But then this morning, as I rode to work on a crowded uptown C train, I see Shane Victorino on the cover of the New York Post Photoshopped in a dress.  Then -- when I get to the office -- my Director runs over and informs me that the Post and the New York Daily News have pages upon pages dedicated to shitting on not only our baseball team, but our fans and Philadelphia as a whole.  What?

Trust me, if you needed any more reason to want to win this series, the comments made by these "newspapers" will make you want to fly a plane into Yankee stadium.



Reading this stuff makes my skin crawl. It hurts not only because I'm a Phillies fan, but because I majored in journalism and -- trust me here -- this shit ain't journalism. Just take a look:

"Their fans are second-rate and so is their city"


"Gotham has been regularly beating the pants off Philly since overtaking the one-horse town as the nation's economic capital in the early 19th century."

"Philly fans are a bunch of whiners and should learn how to dress. They should try reading GQ."

[on the Philly Phanatic]
"'Mr. Met is even better than that -- and Mr. Met is retarded,' said Patrick O'Neill, 22, of The Bronx. "

You gotta respect any news organization that uses the word "retarded". But you're right, Mr. Met IS retarded. And the Phanatic, oh, he just was named the BEST MASCOT EVER by Sports Illustrated.

New York beating Philly regularly? You mean like when the Eagles beat the Giants in New York New Jersey during last years playoffs? Or maybe like when the Sixers finished 18 games ahead of the Knicks last year? Or maybe like when the Flyers finished 4 points ahead of the Rangers last year? Oh wait, I know what you meant. You meant last year when the Yankees failed to make the postseason for the first time in 13 years and the Philadelphia Phillies became the WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS of baseball! I get you now!

As far as the dressing thing...I agree. But eff you guys anyway. I'll leave the rest of the comebacks for drunks on WIP and quality Philly papers like the Inquirer.

This series is gonna be great.  Go Phils.

1 comment:

  1. Phillies in 5 like J-Roll said and I got the numbers to back me up! We win both in New York this week! You heard it here first!

    ReplyDelete