Thursday, November 5, 2009

I'm Bitter and Petty


As you might've heard, the Phillies fell to the New York Yankees last night and are no longer World Champions.

Wounds are fresh.  Hearts are broken.  Disappointment and nostalgia, at this time, have taken a backseat to initial anger and disbelief.

I honestly cannot believe we lost to the Yankees. Never in my life had I been more confident. I truly never felt this team would lose. Even down 3-1, confidence didn't waiver. I was quick to tell anyone who uttered words of doubt that this Phillies team would pull through. It was never a matter of 'if'.

But it didn't happen. And I'm angry about it. I still don't believe the Yankees are a better team the Phillies.

Call me a hater.  Call me a homer.  Call me petty and bitter - I don't care.  I will never be convinced the Yankees were the better team.  But alas, the better team doesn't always win. And now this city has to deal with seeing their hero's fall.  Please don’t justify this loss by saying ‘Oh well, at least we won it last year’. That's nothing more than loser talk.

I don’t want to make excuses as to why the Yankees won – because they really are a great team and I congratulate their organization on winning baseball’s biggest prize.  But I will say that money can defeat anything in this country. That's not to say the Phillies don’t spend, but nothing compares to that of the Yankees. You really should be winning every year when spending an exorbitant amount of money on player salaries.

And with that, I think it's time to blow off steam.  Let me remind you why we hate the Yankees with a few select examples: 

  • Mark Teixeira is not a Yankee, he was the best free agent and you bought him.
  • A-Rod is a d-bag and has not one, but TWO paintings of him as a centaur.  What a purple-lipped asshole.
  • Your fans have a false sense of entitlement and think they each had something to do with every single championship from 1932 to the present.
  • Johnny Damon shaved his beard for money.
  • Nick Swisher is an arrogant jerk who has a computer screen in his locker reading "Hello. My Name is Swagger".  Shut up Nick Swisher, you're terrible.
  • To all of the celebrities who feel the need to parade around the stadium and make grand entrances to their seats - no one cares.  I'm looking at you Rudy Giuliani.  You and you wife.  If I don't have to see her uber-botoxed face for another year, I'll be lucky.  You can bounce quarters off that thing.
That feels better.  Back to my original point...

I’m not sure what the emotion is called when disbelief intersects with disappointment and irritation, but the city of Philadelphia is going through it together.

One thing did happen last night that made me know everything was going to be okay.  After the game, Charlie Manuel was quoted as saying, "I'm gonna tell you something.  We will be back".

You know what?  I believe him - he's never given me a reason not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment