Friday, January 21, 2011

Peyton Hillis Taunted During Games for Being White


CantonRep.com - Running back Peyton Hillis opened up about his lost year in Denver and his newfound stardom in Cleveland on a [Dan Patrick's] national radio show Wednesday. Patrick asked Hillis about the novelty of being a white running back in the NFL. Hillis said the topic is thrown in his face directly and indirectly, regularly ... [and] said his complexion always came up on the field.“Every team did it,” he said. “They’ll say, ‘You white boy, you ain’t gonna run on us today. This is ridiculous. Why are you giving offensive linemen the ball?’
“All kinds of stuff like that you hear on the field, but I use that to my advantage. I kind of soaked it in, ate it up a little bit, because I enjoyed it.”
Hillis has heard nicknames suggested right and left. Patrick said his favorite is “The Avalanche,” to which Hillis responded: “I heard that one. I heard ‘White Rhino.’ I heard ... Chuck Norris.’”


I have a strict policy when it comes to racism: it's only okay if it's funny. If what you say is a legitimately funny joke, all should be forgiven. Like as the black dude with a lot of white friends I've been hearing shit since I was in elementary school. I've got thick skin. I can take it. But what's the point of just being a racist asshole if you're not going to at least be funny about it? Black joke that ends with some sort of slavery or hanging reference -- not funny. Black joke that makes a reference to something less obvious like cocoa butter or menthol cigarettes -- I might chuckle.

But I digress. Just calling Peyton Hillis "white boy" and being insulting is not funny and, therefore, racist. Asking why the Browns are giving offensive lineman the ball? Eh...pretty funny. I'm glad to see that the guy has a good attitude about the whole thing and uses it for motivation. Plus, you know, The Avalanche and White Rhino nicknames are only gonna bring him marketing opportunities and more money.

Make sure you cash in on that shit, Norris.

No comments:

Post a Comment