Friday, December 18, 2009

Could You Quit Sports?

Interesting article from Slate.com in which former sports nut John Swansburg describes his experience after completely quitting watching, listening, reading, or interacting with sports in every way. Sound crazy? Hell yes. Is he better for it? Quite possibly.
"There was a time when I'd catch a game here and there, watch SportsCenter a few nights a week, and really start paying attention come playoff time. I woke up one day not long ago (to a clock radio blaring WFAN) and found that I had a Google alert for "Kevin Garnett knee," a subscription to Baseball Prospectus, and a genuine interest in the Twitter updates of Juan Pablo Montoya."
I admit that my sports PHanaticism at times can seem a bit crazy (Yes, I own a lucky Eagles blanket. No, I don't wash it after a win), but I'm confident that most of us far from the deranged Big Fan / It-puts-the-lotion-on-its-skin territory. Would quitting sports improve your quality of life? It's worth thinking about.

In the meantime, check out the full article here. I'm gonna go and watch 3 straight hours of NFL Network.

1 comment:

  1. Let's be honest, that Juan Pablo Montoya twitter always has great taco recipes.

    ReplyDelete